This festive dish will have your kids eat their full meal with delight; it’s a colorful apple of the eye that the whole family will enjoy!
- Though it looks sophisticated, this recipe is easy to prepare and doesn’t require cooking skills.
- Ask your kids what they think about trying rice that is black…and enjoy their comments.
- Chinese black rice holds its shape very well after cooking and is pleasantly sweet.
- This is a vegetarian dish by heart.
- ½ Cup AbuKass rice, cooked
- ½ Cup black rice
- 2 Shallots, diced
- 1 Squash (small), peeled and diced
- 1 Orange zest
- 1 Orange, diced
- 1 1 cup walnuts, coarsely crushed
- 3 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves or oregano
- 3 Tbsp. oil or butter
- Salt and Pepper as desired
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To prepare Chinese black rice: Rinse then bring to boil in saucepan with water and salt, skim off any foam floating on the surface then cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the rice is tender. Drain off any extra water.
- In medium skillet heat butter then add shallots and sauté for 3 minutes, and then add rice and mix to coat in butter.
- Toss the rest of ingredients and mix for another few minutes.
- Pour mixture into baking plate and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, then mix again and roast for another 15 minutes.
Serve hot or warm, garnish with orange zest