This Arabic Middle Eastern dish is widely spread in Palestine and Jordan, it primary consists of rice and fried eggplant slices, yet many vegetables can be added according to taste, such as potatoes, carrots or cauliflower.
- 2 kilos AbuKass rice, soaked with salt in warm water for half an hour
- 2 kilos beef shanks
- 3 pieces red pepper
- 3 pieces tomatoes, mashed
- Half a kilo of minced onion
- Sweet pepper, salt, cinnamon as desired
- Fried eggplant (quantity as desired)
- Fried cauliflower (quantity as desired)
Cook meat with spices in boiling water, once cooked put broth into a different bowl. Meanwhile, fry eggplants and vegetables in oil until golden brown and drain over absorbent paper. In a cooking pot, cover bottom with slices of fried vegetables and eggplant, cover all with rice; add relevant amount of broth. Cook covered on low heat for 45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Turn pot upside down in serving plate, garnish with sautéed nuts.