This Iranian (Persian) cooking method of Biryani was brought to South Asia and other parts of the world through travelling merchants. Meat is cooked separately as the recipe of biryani developed to its current form.
- 2 cups AbuKass rice
- Half kilo meat muttons
- 2 onions, chopped and roasted
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Quarter teaspoon cumin
- Quarter teaspoon ground cloves
- Quarter teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper as desired
- ¼ cup margarine
- ¼ cup hot water
Soak rice in warm water. Cook lamb muttons in water and spices. Meanwhile stir onions and garlic with little oil, add spices and other ingredients, keep mix on low heat for 3 minutes then leave aside.
Bring pan, add one layer of rice, muttons layer then vegetables mix. Repeat layers until quantities are over.
Add broth and cook over moderate heat for 1 hour.