- Despite being an old and traditional dish, young generation of housewives favors this dish as an easy and fast substitute of the traditional Cabbage rolls well known all among the Middle East.
- There is a traditional Jordanian dish that has a similar name but is totally different in ingredients and method.
- Rice and cabbage is a perfect winter meal.
1 cup long grain white rice
¼ Kg minced muttons
1 head cabbage, shredded
1 clove garlic
1 onion, chopped
4 teaspoons olive oil
½1 tbsp. Cumin
1 tbsp. lemon juice
3 cups water
Salt and pepper as desired
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, add onion and garlic; cook and stir until odorous. Add cabbage, then muttons for about 10 minutes, or until the cabbage cooks down. Add half the amount of garlic.
- Meanwhile, combine rice and water and boil until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a saucepan, mix the rest amount of garlic (crushed) with olive oil, lemon juice and cumin. Simmer for 10 minutes and pour over cooked rice o blend the flavors together.
Serving hot, decorate with chopped parsley and/or fried nuts.